Monday, November 19, 2012

Chicken and Dumplings

It was going to be cold and rainy for the next few days. So it sounded like good day for chicken and dumplings for dinner. I use to make this all the time when the kids were little. And I still make it every month or so. I use Bisquick, so it makes it really easy. I made this on Friday night. 

First I boil the chicken, ( I use frozen chicken tenders ). Cover the chicken with water and boil for 20-30 minutes.

Once the chicken is cooked,  it is time to add a chicken bullion cube or two, or three, or four, depending on your limit of sodium. I have been using 1 bullion, just for that reason, and it seems ok to me. Add more if you don't mind the sodium.  Make sure your pan is 1/3  full of the water/bullion/chicken. Leave the chicken in the pan while you cook the dumplings. I find that the 1/3 works for me, but you can experiment on how thick you want the gravy. You don't want too much liquid, as it will make a thin gravy, and nobody likes thin gravy on their dumplings. Trust me on this. 

In a bowl, mix 3 cups of Bisquick and 1 cup of milk. I add more milk if needed. I like the dough more on the softer side, instead of the dry side. Just mix it up by spoon. Nothing fancy or hard to do.


Heat the chicken and water to almost boiling and add the dumpling mixture by spoonfuls to the pan. I made 6 dumplings or you could make them smaller for maybe 7-8 dumplings. Cook on low/med heat for 10 minutes uncovered. Now put a lid on it and cook for 10 more minutes. No peeking.


Now it is done and ready to eat. Don't forget the peas!


5 comments:

  1. I HAVEN'T MADE THIS IN A LONG TIME..I LIKE CORN WITH MINE.. EASY TO DO NOW THAT YOU DONT HAVE TO UES CHICKEN WITH BONES IN AND THEN HAVE TO PULL OFF THE BONE..YOU SHOWED ME HOW TO MAKE THIS ONCE WHEN YOU WERE IN TN VISITING...WE MADE TWO POT FULLS...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This actually looks yummy. Another Nancy recipe I might have to try. :0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will all love it! Add the extra bullion or two for more flavor. Than next time around, you can add less if too much. Use 2 and see how that works.







      Delete
  3. This is good when you don't feel like cooking because it is so easy..And make extra as it is good as leftovers too. Yes, if you have more than 3 people and need more dumplings, you just make 2 pots. In the extra pot, just add water and bullion and add the dumplings. You don't need the chicken in both pots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just don't add the peas! Nasty! ; )

    ReplyDelete