Thursday, October 4, 2012

I Want To Become Amish

This is Effie Fisher, my Amish friend of 22 years. We started writing to each other as pen pals, after I saw in the Country Magazine that she was looking for someone to write to. She had a ton of children and now has close to 40 grandkids. About 10 years or so ago, Rod and I went to see my sister Carol in TN and the 3 of us decided to drive up to PA to meet her. The day before, I called the local post office and asked the Rural Carrier to leave a note in her mail box to let her know that we were driving up for a visit. They don't have a phone, so it was the only way I knew how to let her know. She let me take pictures of them, but not of their faces.


This is Dora, her last child to get married and leave home. Last I heard, she had 2 children. She showed us how to milk a cow.  I could never get out of bed at 4:30 am in the cold, rain and snow to go out in to that stinky barn to milk a bunch of cows. No way, No how. It was interesting to watch her though.


This is me and Carol pretending that we have to take the buggy to the store to buy some chicken for dinner. Oh, but wait, I forgot.....


Silly us, we have all the chickens right here on the farm to cook for dinner. Ok Carol, you are the better cook, so go ahead. No, I insist...


I'll just run down to the cellar and grab some canned beans and applesauce to go with your fresh baked chicken. I don't see any wine in there, do you?


Effie was nice enough to make us a great meal. We had some kind of beef in a gravy. ( I say beef with my fingers crossed) mashed potatoes cooked on her wood fueled stove and bread and butter and corn. She even put on the Sunday tablecloth and used her good china for us. Notice the hanging camping lantern over the table? Did I mention that they don't have any electricity? 


Here is a closer look at the nice meal she made for us. 


Now that we were fed, we had to earn our keep. Carol couldn't wait to do the wash. 


And hang them up to dry. 


And iron the men's shirts to go work in that stinky barn. 


Ok, I'll give it a try. Notice that they have an iron from Little House On The Prairie? And notice Rod in the background, watching me iron? It was the last time I ironed. He was fascinated with seeing me with an iron in my hand.  


Dora showed us how to get the ironing done. Carol asked her if she ever just wanted to plug something in the wall..She said no.  If you look at the walls, you will see that they are only allowed to hang a calendar and a clock on the walls. The couch can't have fabric on it. That would be too comfy I guess. No curtains on the windows either.

They had to heat the iron on the hot wood stove. They had two irons so that they could switch them out without waiting to reheat just one iron. This is the same surface they cook on. 



But they can put these on the wall..This was on the wall of the son's bedroom. They hunt deer and bear. I hope we didn't eat Bambi for that meal. 


Carol tried a piece of Bear Sausage that they made. She looks like a deer in the headlights. I wouldn't look like a deer in that house. Remember those guns on the wall? 



Effie's husband Levi and their sons were on the way home from somewhere. They were driving a tractor and Dora was yelling the MENFOLK are coming The MENFOLK are coming. They really talk like that. 


This is where the MENFOLK hang their work hats and coats. It also looks like the woodpile? I'd be checking for spiders in my hat. 


This was Bear! He was mean looking. He was probably tired from chasing the cows and chickens. 



And one of these barn cats, or mouse chasers as they call them, was named after me. They named her Nancy. They couldn't have named one of those 40 grand kids after me? It was the one in the back corner acting like a sweet cat. Until I tried to hold it for a picture and it HISSED and squirmed out of arms. Really? They named a Devil cat after me? Bring the Holy Water!!!




Carol and I discussing if we want to convert to being Amish. I'm still reading up on the Amish. I will let you know soon. 


Carol bought this Amish made rocker from a very nice Amish man , so I think she is leaning towards converting. 

If you have any questions about the Amish, just ask me. I know everything there is to know about them. Now I just need to figure out how to get them to let me convert, but still bring my computer, camera, and cell phone. And Rod's TV , because without that, he wouldn't survive. Oh by the way, I haven't told him what his retirement plans are yet. Oops!

Would you ever consider becoming Amish? 




















2 comments:

  1. Amish life looks so simple and stress free. But I love my technology so I would never survive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, this post cracked me up. Good one. I had forgotten about these pics! You need to go back for a visit, take more pics. You could sell a book about them with real pictures! haha.

    ReplyDelete