Sunday, October 14, 2012

Smile, It's for the Birds

When I first started taking pictures, I had to teach myself how to learn the basics of photography 101. I knew how to use the camera, but I would always take too long to take the picture. Whatever I was taking the picture of, it would come out blurry or not what I was wanting. I was just too slow. 


I knew I needed to be faster to catch what I was wanting. I wasn't getting the smiles, or the attention I needed for a great photo. As you can see below, I had no control of the situation. 


Who needed a fancy photography school when you could teach yourself? So this is what I started doing to get the photos I wanted. I practiced taking Bird pictures. I needed to be faster on the shutter button. 


Where would I find these birds to practice with? And why would I choose birds? The main reason for practicing on birds, was that birds are really fast. A bird will fly off in a split second. I figured if I could master taking pictures of birds that will take off so quickly, I would be faster and able to take better photos of the kids and babies, before they decided that they didn't want to cooperate and they flew the coop.   




You'd be surprised at how hard it is to get everyone to look at you.  Here are two examples of my son Kris and his family I took recently. And why is everyone leaning? The fence behind them is pretty straight. I wasn't fast enough. I need to go back and study the birds again. Maybe a refresher course. The birds don't lean. The birds are my friends.


For one year, everyday, I took pictures of birds. I took at least a 100 photos a day, but mainly of the birds. At first I put bird seed on the fence out back. I heard a voice whisper to me, "Feed them and they will come" Ok, it's the same idea as Field of Dreams. I have a small window with a curtain to hide behind, without the birds seeing me. Once I was good at that, I would go out to parks, water fronts, and woodsy areas and get them in action doing anything from getting worms, to building a nest. Hummingbirds are very fast and very hard to capture. So because of the quick photos I learned to take of the birds, I can now capture that child or baby with no problem. Taking really quick pictures of anyone is pretty easy for me now. Well, until I took those family photos of Kris and his family. I wonder if I put a fake bird on my head, when I do a photo shoot, if everyone would look at me. Or would they scream hysterically and run away? Maybe I should call that fancy Photography school after all.   

My favorite bird photos are the ones of the mom or dad feeding the babies, as the first photo shows. Just thought I'd share my favorite bird pictures from the crazy bird lady. Or is that the crazy camera lady, or just the crazy lady? 

Tweet Tweet Tweet. 






























Does anyone want to pose on a branch for me?
Or sit on the fence for a nice photo?

Here is Carol's bird branch photo. I told you that birds are easier to take pictures of. Now where did I put that Photograpy school phone number?






4 comments:

  1. I DID.. REMEMBER? ON THAT BIG HUGH BRANCH AT THE LAKE...LOVE THE BIRD PICS....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot to mention that when you were feeding the birds on your fence, you were also unknowingly feeding a rat! : ) And, if over the years, you can photograph my children? Then you can capture anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes,the reason why I am not feeding the birds anymore. It was fun while it lasted. And yes, your children have given me a lot of training..lol

    ReplyDelete