Thursday, October 18, 2012

Bookface

I was thinking today about Facebook and MySpace. Remember MySpace? It was great while it lasted. But Facebook is just so much easier to get around. Well, until those Facebook workers who think they know everything, changes something again. I remember asking my kids, "What is Myspace"? And when I joined and befriended them, they were probably thinking why did I explain this to her? Now she is our Friend. Than Facebook came around and they sneaked (went) over there and I was still stuck in Myspace all by myself. I didn't want to go to Facebook and re-learn a new place. But I did switch and never went back to Myspace. Is there anyone still over there? And yes, my kids befriended me again. We are BFF. Joined at the hip, shadows, and facebook band-aids. I'm sure they feel the same way : ) Ok, maybe not. 
But back to my thinking today. How amazing is it that because of Facebook, that we can find anyone from our past and become daily friends again? We might not chat with them or ever acknowledge them, but we know everything about them now. But most of all, the people that mean the most to us, that we don't get to see that often, makes it almost like a daily family reunion. Remember years ago, when you would call that person long distance and have to pay per minute? Or had to write them a letter and mail it? Now you just pop on over to FB and say Hi anytime you want. 
My mom calls it Bookface, Myface, Facespace or that Face thing. But than again, just this week she called a camel double double. Anyways, I am glad that we have facebook to keep up with all the family and friends and being able to post pictures too. Here is my mom's friend.

"Double Double"


5 comments:

  1. I was so "anti" anything social. I thought they were for the kids/teens. I believed they were made so young people could find dates. But now I am addicted more then any of my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was never a fan of myspace, and was really strict with the boys and wouldn't allow them to have accounts at the time (they were still pretty young). I had heard really scary things as a parent about it being a site where predators trolled. Anyway, both boys joined Facebook one summer while visiting their dad in California, and I wasn't thrilled but when they got home they sold me on it by helping me set my account up and then befriending me so that I could feel more comfortable with their accounts. Like many adults these days, I think I am on it much more now than they are. I agree its cool to connect long ago and far away, but it is sad that we've lost the art of calling and writing letters. Nothing warms my heart more than receiving a good old fashioned hand written letter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way I figure it, is that most of the people never wrote letters to me anyways. So this is a bonus to be able to chat with them or email back and forth.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I can remember back to the day that I had to explain to you what a "mouse" was! Let alone, Myspace or Facebook! : )

    ReplyDelete