Thursday, October 11, 2012

Words


Why is it that some words just don't come out right? I think I have a pretty good vocabulary, but sometimes I sound like a imbecile trying to pronounce a certain word. It might be a simple word for most people to say, but it just doesn't work for me. Yesterday I was talking to Rod about Photoshop and I was trying to say the word copoments, capoments, ka-poe-ments.... I just looked it up. "components" If I knew how to pronounce it, I could have looked it up the first try, but the dictionary kept saying no such word. So how do you look up a word that you can't say or spell?



Next word that I have always had a hard time saying, 9 times out of 10 times, ok 10 out of 10 times, is the word "lingerie" I would say lin-gen-neer. And I still do. I know it is wrong but it can't be changed. I just can't naturally say the word. Maybe if I wore it, I could pronounce it. Never mind. Not going to happen.

On to my next speech problem. Have you ever eaten at the "Porta Valada" restaurant? Or been to Porta Valada, Mexico? I hear you all screaming at my blog right now..Yes, I know it is really called Puerto Vallarta. But no matter how hard I try and say it correctly, it still comes out like a drunk person slurring their words. 


What words do you have a hard time pronouncing? 



8 comments:

  1. Cinanenamon, is one of mine, yah yah, Cinnamon. Still cant do it. It's the jumble of n's and m's. While we're at it is it Potatoe or Patato, tomato or tamato. lol. Wyatt says quedista instead of quesadilla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see cinnamon being a hard one for some people. Luckily I can say that one. It is funny about the word potato, as I've been told I pronounce it po-tae-da and window I pronounce it as wind-da

    ReplyDelete
  3. I KNOW THERE ARE SOME BUT I HAVE TO THINK WHAT THEY ARE////////

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what words you say wrong. Instead of saying "idea", you will say "ideal" and I think you also say "death" instead of "deaf" lol

      Delete
  4. It's not a word, but a name. Every time I see it, I say it wrong in my head. Joaquin. I always say it "Ho-quinn". But, I know it's "Waa-keen". Weird. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I think I would say that too. It just doesn't even look like it should be pronounced as Waa-keen.

      Delete
  5. Ashlyn use to call Kohl's - "Koala's". This was just a few years ago. : ) So, Mackenzie and I still call it that to embarrass her.

    ReplyDelete